Citizens Energy Group gives Indy gas and water

IndyStar is making this story free as a public service. Thank you for supporting our journalism with a subscription.

One of the most important services to put in place when you move to a new city is your utilities: water and gas, in particular.

But this process is plagued with so many questions: How to start services? How much will it cost? How do I pay? And above all, who is my supplier?

Indianapolis’ gas and water supplier, Citizens Energy Group, provides services to eight counties, including Marion County and the city of Indianapolis.

In 2014, Citizens acquired the city of Westfield water and sewer systems and now operates in tandem with the city under the name Citizens Westfield.

Here’s what you need to know:

What services does Citizens Energy Group provide?

Citizens provides water and natural gas services to thousands of homes and businesses in the Indianapolis area.

Water is transported to water treatment plants by pipeline from the White River and Geist, Morse and Eagle Creek reservoirs, and then supplied to nearly 400,000 homes in the Indianapolis area.

Citizens also provide sanitation services to Indianapolis and thermal heating and cooling services to parts of downtown Indianapolis.

Is Citizens Energy Group a private company?

No, Citizens is a public charitable foundation, which means that those who benefit from the company’s services are the general public.

According to its website, Citizens was founded by city leaders, including Col. Eli Lilly and President Benjamin Harrison, as a trust to prevent the company from being taken over by monopolies like Rockefeller’s Standard Oil.

The company then became Citizens Gas in 1906, when the city government bought the majority of the assets, and changed again to the Citizens Gas & Coke Utility in 1935, when the Indianapolis government purchased the rest of the assets and became full owner. Coke is a type of fuel made by heating a certain type of coal in the absence of air.

In 2008, the company became Citizens Energy Group.

“These rooms couldn’t be whiter”:Lack of diversity in public services could hurt clients

Citizens Energy Group logo on the building at 2020 N. Meridian Street in Indianapolis.

How can I join the Citizens Energy Group?

You can sign up for water or gas services with Citizens Energy Group online.

To start the service, you will need to provide your home address and your personal and contact information, including your name, date of birth, social security number, phone number, and email address.

You will also need to submit a previous or current address where you had some sort of bill or loan in your name, such as a credit card or utility bill.

Citizens will ask you what day and time you want your water or gas service to start.

How do I pay my bill?

You can pay your bill online, in person, or by mail.

There are several ways to pay online. You can configure EasyPay to make a one-time payment from your checking or savings account. There is also an option to make a one-time payment with a credit card. You can also set up AutoPay, which will automatically deduct payment from your account each month at no charge.

You can also pay with EasyPay or by credit card by calling 317-924-3310.

There are several options if you prefer to pay your bill in person. You can visit a kiosk at Citizens Headquarters: 2020 N. Meridian St. in Indianapolis. You can also locate a third-party payment location or use a reusable PayCode from PayNearMe to scan and pay in cash.

If you prefer to send your invoice by post, you can send it to:

Citizen energy group

P.O. Box 7056

Indianapolis, EN 46207-7056

You can send a check for water and gas services.

What regulations should I follow?

As a customer of Citizens Energy Group, you are responsible for maintaining all water and gas lines and repairing them in the event of damage. You are also responsible for keeping your meter accessible for reading at all times in a clean, safe and dry place.

Additionally, Citizens requires clients to have their pushback devices tested annually under the direction of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. If you have an irrigation system, you should also have a backflow device.

Backflow is the flow of any foreign substance into your drinking water supply, and the backflow preventer is responsible for preventing contaminants from entering the water supply.

‘For rent’:These are your rights as a tenant in Indianapolis

Customers should have their backflow device tested at least once a year. To have your discharge device tested, look for a tester approved by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Once the test is complete, the customer or tester should upload the test results to Citizens on the AquaBackflow website.

More information on backflow prevention can be found in this Indiana Department of Environmental Management’s backflow prevention manual or in the Citizens Energy Group backflow questions and answers.

You should also call citizens if you plan to dig a hole or move dirt on your property in any other way to avoid cutting a utility line. Visit or call 811 before you dig.

Do citizens require a deposit?

If you have not been a Citizens gas customer in the past four years and do not have an established and satisfactory credit history, you may be required to pay a deposit to begin services.

The deposit will not exceed one-sixth of the amount of the estimated cost of using your home’s gas for the year.

If your deposit amount is $ 150 or less, gas service will begin as soon as Citizens receives your first payment.

If your deposit amount is over $ 150, you can spread payments over a 12-week period. In this case, the service will start as soon as Citizens receives your first payment.

“Like a hostage negotiation”: Indiana renewable energy standards bill dies after pushback

If Citizens holds your deposit for more than 30 days, it will earn interest at a rate set by the Indiana Utilities Regulatory Commission. You will receive your payment amount – plus interest earned – if you pay your bill on time for 12 months or on time for 12 out of 15 months without two consecutive months of late payment.

If you did not receive your deposit when requesting the interruption of gas services, the amount, plus interest, will be subtracted from your final bill.

Water customers generally do not have to pay a deposit to establish services, unless you have already been logged out of Citizens for non-payment.

What should I do if I have a gas or water leak?

Citizens deliberately add a distinct smell of rotten eggs to natural gas so that customers can easily spot a leak.

If you suspect a gas leak, you must immediately evacuate the building. Don’t open the doors and windows of your house to get fresh air.

You should also not turn lights or electrical appliances on or off, use the phone, or light matches indoors.

Once outside, call the citizens’ emergency line at 317-924-3311 and a technician should arrive to check for leaks. There is no charge for calling citizens to report a gas leak.

If there is a water leak, locate the shut-off valve in your home and turn off the water promptly to avoid damage.

If you witness a build-up of water or spray on the street when there is no precipitation, this could indicate a broken water pipe, immediately call citizens at 317- 924-3311.

Customers who have recently repaired a water leak in an underground area, crawl space or concrete floor may be eligible for a leak adjustment from Citizens. Under the adjustment, the customer will only have to pay for 25% of the wasted water from this leak.

Water wasted is the amount of water that exceeds a customer’s average usage, according to Citizens.

For other types of hidden leaks, when certain conditions are met, the customer can request a leak adjustment. If granted, the customer will only be responsible for 50% of the cost of wasted water. This type of adjustment is only given once per service address.

How can I contact Citizens Energy Group?

In the event of an emergency or a leak, or if you need to contact someone about your services, you can reach customer service at 317-924-3311.

If you don’t have heat and can’t afford your gas bill, call the citizens’ emergency number at 317-927-4798. They might be able to help.

To reach the “Call before you dig” line, dial 811 or 800 382-5544.

Contact Claire Rafford, IndyStar Pulliam Fellow, at [email protected] or on Twitter @clairerafford.

Previous Space and exercise can be essential for breeding beef heifers in a dry yard
Next WASH Cluster Ukraine: Emergency plan, Final version - June 2021 - Ukraine